Memorial Day is fast approaching, so you know what that means… The crazy summer season is just about here! This time of year usually finds me ramping up my workout schedule (and wondering what the heck I was thinking waiting until May to start getting into summer shape). Anyone in the same boat? Just me? Okay, moving along.
This time of year also finds property managers scrambling to get ready for the busy summer vacation season, which makes it the perfect time to whip your business into summer shape, too! We put our heads together with a few LiveRez partners to come up with the top 10 things you can be doing right now to help ensure your summer season is smooth sailing.
- Tackle your to-do list. When your summer calendar is packed with back-to-back reservations, it can be tough to find time to take care of property updates. Bradie Beagley-Reiner from Bluewater Vacation Homes likes to use this time to tackle that list of upgrades they haven’t gotten around to just yet.
- Deep clean. Your properties are about to get some summer love from countless vacationers. Before the masses roll into town, ask your cleaning team to spend a little extra time scrubbing and polishing to make sure all of your properties are ready to take on the busy season.
- Spend some time outside. More than likely, it’s been a while since the patios, pools and other outdoor spaces have been utilized by your guests. Don’t wait for your guests to tell you the grill is busted or the lawn furniture has seen better days. Be proactive!
- Make it personal. When things get busy, it’s easy to forget about those little personal touches that make you stand out! CJ Stam from Southern Comfort Cabin Rentals recommends increasing that personal touch by sending a company branded postcard out to every booking.
- Send good summer vibes. Take some time to consider how you can start your guests’ summer vacations out on the right foot. From pool toys and beach towels to kites and sunscreen, providing thoughtful summer-focused amenities is a great way to show guests how much you care about their vacation. The little details make a big difference!
- Refresh your welcome book. Flip through your current welcome book, and take note of ways you could make it more focused on summer activities. This might include things like a special section about the best patio dining, your favorite places to take a picnic, local beach rental shops, etc.
- Freshen up your website. Your website is an important part of your business, so don’t forget to give it a little touch of summer, as well! First, be sure to remove any expired winter specials. Then, consider replacing any wintery photos of your area with more summery ones. Lastly, take a look at your local area guide to make sure your summer activity recommendations are front and center.
- Simplify your business processes. A busy summer booking calendar will likely mean less time for you to accomplish your day-to-day business tasks. Brainstorm ways you can simplify your business processes to free up time that you can spend taking care of your guests. For you, this could mean finally getting your CRM system set up to automatically send out emails that you’re currently wasting time sending manually. Or, signing up for eSignature, to cut down on the time you spend mailing out rental agreements.
- Get your staff pumped up for the season. You’re going to need your team firing on all cylinders this season, so Bradie from Bluewater Vacation Homes makes sure they’re trained and equipped to take it on! If you need to bring on more people, don’t wait until you’re desperate. Take the time to find the right person before things get super busy.
- Breathe. You got this!
How do you get ready for the crazy summer season? We want to know! Share your summer hacks in the comments section below.